Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pierce's one year check up



We went Friday, June 20 for his one year check up. He weighed 21 lbs 14.8oz and measured 29 1/4 inches long. One thing that surprised me was that the doctor told me to take him off the bottle. I've never taken my kids off the bottle this early. I've always done it around 14-18months. I introduced whole milk to Pierce at about 11 1/2 months, but he wouldn't drink much of it. He would only sip it. So I tried the next step formula and he took that great. After his doctors appointment we finished that full day with bottles of the next step formula and the next day was his first full day with no bottle. I got him a new sippy cup with a straw and put whole milk in it. He has taken it without a problem. I personally think giving him the milk in something other than the bottle has helped this process. I'm actually very happy that taking the bottle away went as smoothly as it did, however I'm sad because it's my baby. Now we just have a pacifier to deal with, but that won't be done for a while. It will be kept around to use for while he's fussy from teething purposes and to keep him quiet during church.

2 comments:

Justin and Stacey said...

Ok, our doctor said the same thing! Jack doesn't do very well with the sippy cup, he will sip out of it, but he barely gets two ounces out of it. Maybe I should try one with a straw. Pierce is looking so dang cute!!! I wish we lived closer so Jack could have him as a friend. He is adorable. And I LOVE his name...it was in our top three when Jack was born! :0)

Kimbo said...

He is so cute! Thanks for sharing this info. I'm clueless to things like this when it comes to little kids. I'm going to tuck this away to memory for our first little baby.